September 30, 2013
Hola Familia!
What a week it has been. It has been one of the longest but
shortest weeks on my mission. I have been trying to learn my new area like
crazy. We spent a long time driving all over the city of Manassas because I
don't know where everything is yet. Hermana Argueta and her last companion just
barely opened this area so they had no investigators; they literally have been
knocking doors every day for the past month.
Well, I said...none of that!
I worked a lot with other missionaries and I was able to ask
the elders in our area if we could look through their area book. We were able
to pull out like almost 40 women former investigators; we have been going to
visit these people and a lot of less actives. We had a few poopy days where we
didn't see a single person, but all is well. We are trying to find
investigators like crazy. I had a huge self-reevaluation. I realized that I
didn't have my trainer to lean on anymore and I needed to take some initiative
to be the best missionary that I can be and push myself, and now my companion,
to have confidence.
Hermana Argueta is doing great. Her last companion helped
her a lot with her confidence. She is fluent in Spanish, but she doesn't know
how to read or write it very well, so we are helping each other.
This week we did a LOT of organizing. I got a whiteboard and
drew a calendar. Then we organized all the potential investigators, formers,
investigators, less actives and members and wrote their names on the board. We
realized we had a lot more people we could go visit than we thought. It has
already helped a ton.
We helped 2 different people move this week, both less
active families. It's hard because the branch doesn't really come to help with
service like this, everybody just calls the missionaries. We helped this one family,
and me and Hermana Argueta helped the Mom clean out the empty rooms. I was very
grateful that I was taught to properly clean so that I could be helpful. The
families were so grateful for our help.
We had a LOT of meetings this week. On Friday we had half
mission conference. President and Sister Riggs taught a lot about getting back
to the basics and teaching simply from Preach my Gospel. It was very inspiring.
We didn't see a lot of people this week, but we did work
hard. On Thursday we made a 40 min drive to meet with these members. The Dad is
a convert from Ecuador and he just had two of his kids sent here to live with
him and his new family. They only speak English and are very homesick, but we
were able to teach them and commit them to read the BOM. The 16 year old boy
was very stubborn, but I joked with him enough to not think we were entirely
weird :)
Yesterday, we got 2 other lessons. We got asked to teach 2
daughters of a member. The daughters live with their mom during the week but
have been going to church with their dad and step mom. They are SO golden. They
love church and promised to read and pray. We had a SUPER good lesson with
them, but I think it was because I got to teach in English. I love it when that
happens.
We also met with a former investigator the last Hermanas
dropped but I really felt like we needed to try teaching her again. We stopped
by and had a really simple, sweet, lesson with Jackie. Her mom fed us El
Salvadorian food and Hot Chocolate. It's so good to just get to know these
people and their culture. They really are such wonderful people.
The bummer about my new area is that our apartment is a
former Elder apartment, so it has nasty stained carpet and a strange smell.
Also, the apartment complex doesn't give missionaries gym passes or even
parking passes because we aren't on the lease. So, I am afraid of getting lazy
about working out the colder it gets!
We are really close to everything in our location. It's
really nice to be so close to our investigators, the church, and shopping. I
also lucked out and have a queen size bed!! We do live in the more ghetto part
of Virginia though. We here sirens every morning before 8am and then throughout
the day, it's great :)
So the other day, we went to go check on some former investigators
and couldn't find parking. We had to park at the church and walk to the home.
Well we were walking through one of the sketchiest
neighborhoods in Manassas.
Luckily we were out during the middle of the day. We got a LOT of strange
looks. Everybody is looking at us like "Girls, what do you think you are
doing here? Are you nuts?!" but me and Hermana Argueta just smiled and
walked and said Hola to everybody. We ended up walking in the wrong direction
and got completely lost. We ended up walking for over 2 miles in that
neighborhood. We ran into these sketchy boys and when we said Hola they were
excited we spoke Spanish. We told them we were missionaries and just gave them
a pass-along card. Then one of the boys looks at me and says "Porque eres
tan bella?" (Why are you so beautiful?). We quickly said bye and walked
away. It became a running joke though between me and Hermana Argueta, it was
just a really funny experience.
The Relief Society
Broadcast was SO good. It just made me excited for conference! I just remember
how strong I felt when Thomas S Monson started speaking. It reminded me of when
I said the prophet in person at the MTC. I remember then and I felt it again on
Saturday, that he IS called of God and that he is our living prophet. I love
him and I want to follow his counsel.
Things are going well. This week I had a few discouraging
moments when it comes to training, leading and learning the language. But the
longer I am here the better I feel. I'm learning a LOT and I am getting pushed
in ways I wasn't expecting. It's scary and exciting!
We have a BBQ today with President Riggs because our whole
zone got 90% baptismal invites for the month. We have a lot more fun on the
mission than I thought we would!
I love you all, keep up the good work and help those
missionaries find people to teach! Sometimes we know the people we know because
the Lord knows they are prepared for you to share the gospel with them.
Love you all!
Hermana Spencer
My new address is 10841 Gambril Dr #23 Manassas VA 20109
No comments:
Post a Comment