August 19, 2013
Hello Family!
This next week is going to be a crazy busy week! Yes, we have transfers on Thursday. Me and Hermana Simpson are hoping and praying that she gets to finish training me. I love her as my companion so much. She has been a huge tender mercy from the lord. We are nervous though that she might be getting transferred! But, we also might be getting moved if we do stay together, and possible on bike. We will see what happen.
This week we have a ton going on. This Friday is Hermana Simpson's birthday! That same day is Esperanza'a wedding. On Saturday we have a baptism.
We have been teaching 3 kids, 8, 9 and 9. Natasha, Pablo and Cayo. Cayo is their cousin and his mom is a convert. Natasha's and pablo's mom is a less active, but they all wanted their kids to get baptized. Their mom only speaks spanish, but the kids speak english, so they are getting baptized into the english ward. They are fun, but goofy kids. Our lessons are hard sometimes because they are hard to keep entertained. But, we have that baptism this Saturday. This will be my first!
And Esperanza IS getting married this Friday! This week we had to write up a check-list for her and give her deadlines. We were super worried about her getting a marriage license because they didn't have a ride and they are both super lazy. But it was a miracle that they got it and she went and got a dress (of sorts.....) and a little tux for her baby. The relief society is going to help bring some food and they are going to do a sweet short ceremony in the chapel with a few people. She is going to be only the second person in her family to get married. Wow! We are SO excited though. She is so ready for baptism and she is amazing. We just know that she is going to be an example to her husband and eventually he will come around too. She wants nothing more than to be sealed to her family.
Hispanics crack me up. I am loving them more and more, but I am also realizing things that I DO NOT want to pick up from them. They have such amazing and loving hearts, but they are so flaky sometimes. I am just VERY grateful for the life lessons, and common sense, that mom and dad taught me that a lot of people ever learned. We are literally teaching our investigators gospel lessons AND life lessons. (ie: you don't feed your 9 month year old Mcdonalds and Mac and Cheese)
My favorite though is everybody calls the BOM "The Mormon Book." Even Esperanza has bore her testimony saying " I know that the Mormon book is true."
Yesterday at church, the missionaries basically run the whole show. Our Branch President found out I can somewhat play the organ, so from now on, that's my job. I played the organ in sacrament meeting. Then me and hermana Simpson got asked to do a musical number. We did a song that I had, and we just translated it. She played the piano while I sang. The branch was very grateful for it. THEN (of course) the sunday school teacher didn't show up so me and Hermana Simpson taught Gospel Principles. It went okay, I mostly stood to the side nodding and occasionally bearing my testimony of what she was teaching. Spanish is still rough.
Every week, Esperanza and Jhoana have to bring their kids and their sister's kids. So Church is more of a babysitting experience for us. I spent the rest of the day with baby drool on my necklace and shirt :)
Okay, I mentioned this in my last email, but it was clarified this week. The mission can no longer forward mail to me. It has to be sent directly to my address. If I get transferred this week I will be able to let you know on Friday, but for now its: 14054 Lotus Lane #8110 Centreville VA 20120
Our one investigator Heidy is progressing but slowly. I LOVE Heidy so much. She is stubborn and kind of obnoxious sometimes, but she is so special. She just got her lip peirced (oh gosh) yet she knows its dumb. We taught her a really good lesson on the law of chastity though. It went super well. We read with her my favorite talk my Deiter F. Uchtdorf "Happily Ever After" and taught her of her true potential. I truly believe that our divine potential is not affected by our pasts. " It is our reaction to the adversity, not the adversity itself, that determines how our story will unfold"
1. Me and my companion being dorks
2. On the Metro on our way to DC!
3. Me and Hna Simpson in front of the Capital Building
No comments:
Post a Comment