June 16, 2014

Laxitives and Lessons

Hola Familia!
 
Are you intrigued by my subject line? I am sure you can assume, I had a very interesting week.
 
The biggest news is transfers. I did not get transferred. That was a shock! I have been in Little River for over 6 months. I am perfectly fine with that, I didn't want to leave. I guess there is something more I need to do while I am here!
 
Me nor Hermana Moleli got transferred, but we gained a third!!! Yep, we are in a trio. Me, Hermana Moleli and Hermana Shultz. Hermana Shultz just barely got finished trained so she is still pretty new to the mission, but doesn't seem like it. She is awesome. She is from Utah, and really balances us out. I was nervous for a trio, sometimes they are hard, but we already have had a good time together. Hermana Shultz said that she likes being with us because her last companion (one of my MTC comps) is more of the serious type. While, we are...Not.
 
I didn't understand at the beginning of my mission that I was allowed to be ME! I thought I had to be that stiff, straight missionary that was constantly smiling. But over time, my mission president taught me that I am supposed to let my personality show. Not all of us are going to be alike, we weren't created to be the same. That would be boring. These people want to see that we are real. They want to know that we have our own likes, dislikes, and personalities. I think that is what has made my mission so fun. I get to be me, I am just turning into the better version of me.
 
Me and Hermana Moleli had a miracle this week. We had a half hour left in the night, and we had a few options. We started heading toward another destination, when I asked her "Should we go see Liz?" and immediately, she responded "Yes" and we turned. We get to Liz's house and nobody is home. At this point, we could have left for home and called it a night. It was pouring rain, and my feet were wet. We both jump in the car, get ready to go, and instantly, both of our eyes are drawn to a house that is across the street. I immediately said nothing but "Let's go" and we both jumped straight out the car again.
 
We knocked on this door, who was a potential investigator, Carola, I had knocked into in December. She opened the door and let us in. Immediately she poured her heart out. She told us that we hadn't been able to find her home because she had been staying with her Mom. She told us that the week we knocked her door, her Husband had left her and her daughter. She had been on the verge of suicide and was in severe depression. We passed by another day, a few months later, and she wasn't home. So, we left a picture of Jesus Christ. She said she saw the picture on a day she was about to give up, and she knew that God was watching over her.
 
We were so touched. I have learned the importance of listening to EVERY prompting of the Holy Ghost. And, the more often we try and listen, the more promptings we receive. Something else I have learned is that sometimes we ask "Is that the Holy Ghost, or is that just me?" the answer is.....YES! Stop thinking about it. If it is a good thought, just do it :)
 
A few times this week, we have walked past a few people, said "hello" and kept walking. Instantly the prompting came to turn around and go back. I get pretty far before I finally give in and decide I'd rather heed promptings. We even chased a family down this week. Was it awkward? Yes. Was it worth it? Yes! We have a few new investigators. And I have felt closer to the holy Ghost than I have ever felt before.
 
Now, for the laxatives....warning, this is about to get personal.
I have had the hardest time adjusting to the Hispanic food! It is delicious, but it is unhealthy and large portions. So, I have been bloated for the majority of my mission.
 
Well, this week. It was bad. Hermana Shultz's first night, we had 3 dinners. And my stomach was HUGE. I tried and I tried, and nothing was working. Sooo, we head over to our local Walgreens and get me the laxative that Hermana Shultz knew to be best. Well, It worked.
 
Later, a member gave us some pizza, and the whole lesson, I was praying that I could get through it without having to run to their bathroom!Eventually the member asked me if I was feeling ok because I was so antsy and she could hear my stomach making noises.  My companions and me were having a good laugh. That was a pretty big highlight to our weekend.
 
So Hermana Shultz is super healthy. She is studying natural healing and health. So I have hired her to be my personal trainer. This morning we worked out together and she led me in a work-out. Well, she kicked my butt. I just hope I am not sore all day!
 
Missionary work is just the best. I love being a part of it. I am learning so much. It's funny to look back at my notes, and letters to think "I didn't get that, then?" Sometimes we don't know how much we grow until we look back and realize everything is different. I still have a long way to go, though.
 
I am glad to hear your summer is well! I laughed when I read about your Rat endeavors. "Are you smarter than a house rat?" I guess not..... :)
 
I hope you are all working hard on becoming great missionaries too! Remember the best way of teaching is like our Savior, through example. Or as my favorite quote says, "Preach the Gospel, and if necessary, use words."
 
John 13:34-35, "Love one Another," not only should we love one another, but all men should know that we are Christ's disciples because of our actions, because we love one another.
 
Keep up the good work, I hope you are all trying to do the "Called to Share" event on Facebook! Second event is tomorrow :)
 
Love you all!
Hermana Spencer


1. Our Zone leader went home this transfer. So we took a picture with him, because we are really buff too.
2. We went to a baby shower in our ward, and we gave her a cute gift! 

No comments:

Post a Comment