December 20, 2013

12/16/2013

 Hola Familia!                                                                                                                                      

I am overwhelmed with happiness right now.  I had quite the week. I didn't realize it, until now that my week was very eventful.

This week was literally impossible to get investigator lessons.  We tried and planned for investigator lessons every day this week, but we could never get in the door, or we kept missing people at home. We visited a TON of less actives and Recent Converts this week though.  I was feeling very discouraged because our numbers were extremely low this week for investigator lessons. Just as most missionaries, we want to feel proud of the numbers we accomplished for the week.

Last night I recognized what the Lord was trying to teach me.  I finally understood what it meant when everybody says "Numbers are not everything."  I have never found myself of somebody that is obsessive over numbers, but I was not recognizing the miracles we saw this week.

We were able to help MANY people this week come unto Christ. Our purpose is to simply invite others to come unto Christ by faith, repentance, baptism, Holy Ghost and enduring to the end.  This week, we helped many of God's children come unto Christ, although it may not have been investigators and through baptism.  I truly learned this week to appreciate the little miracles this week.  I also learned to submit to the will of the Father, not Hermana Spencer's will. His will is much better. He needed us to feed his sheep this week, his less active and recent convert sheep.

It snowed pretty bad on Tuesday and we were told to not use our cars, but to walk.  Unfortunately, Hermana Argueta picked up my horrible cold and we had to stay inside most of the day.
This week, we visited Heidy quite a bit. We had some great lessons with her.  I want her SO badly to just get through the next few years and then move out and go to BYU-I or something (Although I just might be bias towards BYU-I :)).   She has SO much potential, but all day every day, she has a house full of family members telling her that she worth nothing and has no potential. It's hard helping her recognize her divine worth. That makes me so grateful for my family, and for Young Women's helping me see the potential in myself.
This Thursday, we had the Whole Mission Christmas Conference. THERE ARE SO MANY MISSIONARIES!  It was such a great conference. The first half was a talent show. I didn't sign up for anything (I get too chicken!), but then I got roped into accompanying.  I was so glad the accompaniment was fun to play and we nailed the song.  It had to have been one of the best songs.  I played for an Elder that I swear will be famous one day.

Afterwards, we had lunch and got to visit with other missionaries.  It is so fun.  I am not sure if I have mentioned quite how Hispanic my companion is.  She makes me laugh so much.  She had her very first Baked Potato this week.  I had to show her how to eat it :)  We had a good laugh.

After lunch, we got to hear all the testimonies of the departing missionaries this transfer.  It was great to hear some of their advice and their testimonies.  There were a few missionaries that gave some...odd testimonies.  It made me think about, "What am I going to say when I leave?  More importantly, Who will I have become when I leave?"

Also, I got some (stupid) news. Ever since my cold, I was getting some pain in my ribcage and sternum.  It was extremely painful to cough, or to sneeze.  Finally after 2 weeks of this, I called Sister Riggs and she had me call the doctor.He told me that I got Costochondritis.  He thinks that I must have gotten a virus in my sternum from my cold, which caused it to hurt.  So all I have to do is to be taking an anti-inflamatory 3 times a day for 2 weeks.  He said it might take 4-6 weeks to heal.  Luckily it's not too bad, I can still run, walk and do whatever.  Sneezing just hurts like crazy!

We saw a miracle yesterday. Our investigators, Jamie and Jennifer, who we haven't seen in weeks showed up at church yesterday.  Their dad came to us and told us that he talked to their mom and she said that it was their decision to be baptized!!!!  We are so happy.  We just have to explain a few more things, and we invited them last night to pray about baptism this week.

Because, it is most likely my last week in this area, we are saying a lot of goodbyes and hellos to people this week.  Tonight, for dinner, we are going out to eat with Jhoana, Esperanza, and (hopefully) our investigators, Adela and Mary-Lou (Their other sisters!).  We also have a Hermana in our Ward that does nails and wanted to do our nails as a goodbye/Christmas gift.  So we are going to do that today.  I am so spoiled on my mission!

Our Ward is really growing.  I am so proud of Sudley!  Our new Bishop is STELLAR.  Have I ever mentioned before that our Ward Mission Leader has been inactive?  He lives outside our area too, so we can't go see him.  Well, we are getting new one soon and getting 10 new ward missionaries.  We are so excited to see the hastening of the work!  We do have help from others as well, we have ministering angels helping us along!  When the Lord hastens his work, he hastens it on both sides of the veil!

Thank you all for everything.  I am excited to talk to you all on Christmas!  It is coming up! :)

Always remember the truth of this gospel.  Christ is the light and way to happiness . How could this gospel NOT be true?  There are over 80,000 missionaries right now proclaiming and preaching the gospel.  How could it not be true of over 80,000 immature and young adults have a testimony of the truth enough to go teach others about it?

I love being a missionary. I definitely miss home and family, but feel peace and joy in knowing that I am exactly where I am supposed to be and where I want to be.

I will keep you all posted if I get transferred!

Con amor,

Hermana Spencer
1. We made a ton of these to give our investigators, members, less-actives and Recent Converts!  Aren't they cute? We are giving them with a card and the "Joy to the World" DVD
2. Me and My old MTC roommate, Hermana Trunnell.  Unfortunately, she left for home this Saturday for knee surgery. She is coming back in 4 months though!
3. All of the Hermanas at the Christmas Devotional!
4. This is how desperate we were to get a lesson this week! I have had to hop that fence SO many times. This picture cracks me up!                                                                                                                             




No comments:

Post a Comment