June 7, 2013

Letter 2 from the MTC!

Hello family and friends!

I tried using the alpha smart this week every day, but I wasn't able to connect it to the computer. :/ So I will try and get everything in.

 My first few days here were very overwhelming. I was very emotional and very scared. Everybody kept telling us to just "wait until Sunday." I had an interview with my new branch president and he could tell I was feeling scared. When I first got here, we started speaking Spanish right away. We taught a lesson to our "investigator" in Spanish our Second day here. 

My district and zone are awesome, but it took me a bit to get to know them. I have two companions like I said, Hermana Wilcox and Hermana Stanford. Hermana Wilcox makes me laugh so much.  We connect very well and I love her tons. She is definitely going to be a lifelong friend. Hermana Stanford is so diligent. She is from Canada. She is a unique girl. I love her lots, but there are moments that she gets WAY too stressed and it frustrates those around her. But I know that we three girls are supposed to be together for a reason.

 My apartment is me and my companions, Hermana Trunnel and Hermana Haubner. The 5 of us are the girls in our district. The rest of our district is 2 companionships of elders. 3 of which are going to the new Vancouver, Washington mission, and one is going to mine. The district is just the 9 of us.

 We have taught 4 lessons now. We have been teaching an investigator named Alexa. The first couple lessons I was terrified and let my companions take most of it. One thing that they stress here is that "The Holy Ghost speaks perfect Spanish." The Spanish will come, but as long as the Spirit is present, she can understand what we are trying to say. The last two lessons were my favorite. I was able to bear my testimony and understand questions she asked and provide answers. Funny moment though, I was going to tell Alexa that "God has Flesh and Bone" and I started telling her that "God has flesh and scrambled eggs." Luckily I corrected myself!

 Sunday was AWESOME. It was fast Sunday so we had mission conference. Most missionaries say that Fast Sundays aren't half as good as normal Sundays, but I LOVED IT. We had speakers talk to us, which was so neat. I played the piano in sacrament meeting, and apparently for the rest of my stay here :) That night we had a speaker on Joseph Smith and his Martyrdom and then we watched "Legacy" for our Sunday night activity. All I could think throughout Sunday was..."How could this gospel, NOT be true????" I just wanted to shout it from the rooftops.

 BUT, I am scared because apparently we have to right a talk every week....in Spanish! We get a topic and then during sacrament meeting, the president will call on 3 or 4 people from the congregation on the spot to share their talk. Eek!

Tuesday we had Devotional and Hermana Haubner's Step-grandpa works at the MTC and got us seats in the front! It was so neat. The speaker was Tad Callister. He talked about the "Blueprints" of the gospel and how they are the exact match for how the church was in Christ's earthy ministry. I am so glad to be a part of this gospel.

 Yesterday, we found out that our "investigator" was really our second teacher, Hermana Powell. She is going to be teaching us along with our other teacher, Hermano Whittiker. Both of them attend BYU and have served missions. Hermana Powell is SO cute. She has such a strong testimony and she is a fantastic teacher. Last night we went through the steps and ways to have effective planning and studies

 Just so you know, apparently there is this big announce on June 23rd! I guess it is going to be broadcasted from the Marriott Center by the First Presidency. They asked the MTC choir to sing at it! So I will be in it!! :) I am very excited. I guess that this announcement will be a historic event.

Congrats to Dallin for getting the job! I guess its Karma for all the times the Wal-Mart workers had to deal with Mom's endless price-matching. :)

 Tell Lizzie to SMILE!!! I am positive her smile is stunning. One thing I have learned is that a smile can do so much. It can literally change somebody’s day or even their life! I am sure her teeth look great Braces-less and she needs to "let her light so shine!"

 Mom, I am positive you will get a job. Keep doing your best and looking. I will pray for ya. Whoever you end up with, will be more than grateful for you.

 Thanks SOOOOOOO much for the letters. I look forward to mail time! I love getting updates. I laughed and cried when I read dad’s quote from despicable me and when he told me to "work my baby hands to the bone" :)

 Have I mentioned that I love "The District”? They are episodes of missionaries. I watched them before I came here, but we watch snippets and use them as examples often. Iove watching them and spirit it brings. I strongly recommend that you watch them for FHE or something. I love them, and they have made my desire to be a missionary even stronger.

 I am going to try and find out how and where I can eventually send pictures.

 I love you all so much!


Hermana Spencer

No comments:

Post a Comment